Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Dealing with Contractions and Pain during Labor and Childbirth the Natural Way


BABY BOY IS FINALLY HERE!


Just last week, we welcomed our dearest little boy into the world. My childbirth experience was not as difficult nor as scary as others described it would be. I welcomed the birth of my son in a calm, collected, and relaxed manner. At 9:30 am, I started to go into early labor, with my mucus plug & bloody show coming out along with slight contractions. I breezed through the first few hours of early labor and did my usual tasks (I was even able to mop, disinfect, and wax the floors and do other chores).

At around 5 in the afternoon, the contractions started getting stronger and more painful. I was in active labor at 8pm. It progressed quickly until I was fully dilated at 3:30 in the morning and gave birth at exactly 4:28 am, the next day. I gave birth via NSD (Normal Spontaneous Delivery) without Epidural. I strongly believe in giving birth the natural way thus, sans the Epidural.

The pain was intense and it felt like your lower back was getting crushed. No words could describe it! Good thing I took lamaze classes and remembered to use the exercises we learned in class when dealing with contractions. 

For expectant moms, here are some tips to help deal with the contractions:

  • BREATHE. Do two deep breaths (inhale and exhale) as the contractions come in. 
  • FOCUS. Focus on your body and your breathing, not on the pain.
  • KEEP CALM. Maintain a calm and relaxed atmosphere as you progress through labor. Light candles, play music, read a book, do whatever keeps you calm.
  • MEDITATE. Clear you thoughts and don't focus on the pain. Imagine the pain as a bright color that lightens as it goes away. Imagine breathing out and "cleansing out" the bright color.
  • ROCKING. Rock or sway your hips side to side. Your partner can also join in. Imagine yourselves doing a slow dance as you sway your hips side to side.
  • MASSAGE. Have your partner massage the middle part (fleshy part) of your lower back.

To all expectant moms who wishes to give birth naturally, congratulations and I wish you well on your journey! I would love to hear from you, leave me a comment below and share your experience with us.


Happy Mommy


7 comments:

  1. congrats sis! your tips will surely help me when my moment comes.... (a smartparenting member!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Congratulations on your pregnancy and good luck on your childbirth! Kayang kaya mo yan!

      Delete
  2. Hi mommy. Congrats on your baby and for sucessfully giving birth via NSD. I just want to ask when your milk started to come out? How was the first few since you gave birth in terms of bfeeding and.your sleeping pattern? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi mommy. Congrats on your baby and for successfully delivering him via NSD. I just want to ask, when did your milk started to come? thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mommy. Congrats on your baby and for sucessfully giving birth via NSD. I just want to ask when your milk started to come out? How was the first few since you gave birth in terms of bfeeding and.your sleeping pattern? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie! Thank you!
      I started lactating while pregnant, can't remember which week/month exactly.

      Bleeding/Lochia was alright. Then nurses/OB naman monitors it while in the hospital. Sleeping wise, super sleepy! I slept almost all day the first few days. But of course, baby needs to be nursed a lot so I would wake up from time to time.

      Delete
    2. Oh wow, thanks for your reply. I'm 38 weeks now. I'm also hoping to be able to give birth naturally and breastfeed successfully. thanks for the information. =)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing about you and your thoughts. I will get back to you as soon as I can, and will try to address your concerns the best way I can. Have a Happy Mommy Day! ❤

Definition List

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...