Thursday, January 3, 2013

Medela Harmony Manual Breastpump Review



Medela is a brand well-known among breastfeeding mothers. It is one of the most widely used and most established brand of electric and manual breastpumps. The brand has also received numerous positive reviews . As a first-time mom, given the countless brands of breastpumps in the market, with price and quality in consideration, it was overwhelming to choose one that's best suited for my needs.

Medela pumps and/or most breastpumps, for that matter, can be quite expensive, with prices ranging from P3,000 up to as much as P100,000++, which is why it's very important to choose a pump that's best suited for your needs and will last a long time.



As a first time mom, I am inexperienced with breastfeeding; and with the countless brands of breastpumps available, shopping for one can be quite overwhelming. I decided to play safe and chose Medela. I initially wanted the Medela Pump in Style or Freestyle. Unfortunately, my dad got confused an got me a spare parts kit instead (LOL)! Instead of waiting for a replacement, I visited the Rustan's and the Medela House and decided to get the Medela Harmony, for the meantime while deciding on which breastpump to purchase (hey, pregnancy hormones = indecisiveness).


Features:
Manual Single Pump
For Occasional Pumping
Light-weight
Easy to assemble
BPA-Free
Ergonomic
2-phase Expression Technology

Kit Includes:
1 Medela Harmony Manual Breastpump with 1 24mm breastshield
2 bottles
2 lids
1 nipple
1 bottle cover
1 stand

What I love about it:
2-phase Expression Technology
This is unique to all Medela Pumps. The first phase is the "let-down" stimulation. The small lever on the top/front tip of the main pump lever gently suctions milk to stimulates your "let down" reflex. The second phase is the actual pumping/suction action that draws out milk from the breasts. I love this feature! The gentle  first phase suction prepares/stimulates my breast for better milk expression.

Expression to Feeding or Storage bottles
2 bottles with lids, a slow flow nipple, a scre cap, and a bottle cover are included in the kit. I really love how the lids fit well into the bottles, screws and unscrews easily, and are almost leak-proof (unlike the Avent Via cups which I abhor!). They can go from expression to feeding or storage- I love the convenience!

On-the-go convenience: Pump whenever, wherever!
Since it's a manual pump, you can pump anytime and anywhere. No need for batteries or electric outlets. No heavy and bulky motors. The light-weight pump allows you to simply stash it in your purse for convenient and quick pumping.

Easy Assembly and Hassle-free Cleaning
No need for complicated manuals. The parts are easy to assemble and easy to clean, as well! Just wash with soap and water, sterilize, then dry. Easy breezy!

What I don't like about it:
Manual Pumping
The manual pumping can be both energy and time consuming. I usually pump while breastfeeding my son (to encourage better milk flow) so it's a bit hard for me to carry/support a child on one hand while I try to juggle the pump around my hand, to keep it in place.

To sum it up, I love my Medela Harmony! In our first few weeks of breastfeeding/pumping, it was my number one go-to pump. Daddy J even loved how much milk it can easily express and how the parts are so easy to clean (since he's in charge of cleaning/washing and sterilizing).

THE VERDICT
Mommy love meter: ❤

I give the Medela Harmony  a 4 out of 5 on the mommy love meter!
You may also purchase the Medela Harmony Kit at a lower price HERE.

Hope you found this review helpful!
Feel free to leave me a feedback or share your own experience with the Medela Harmony on the comments box below. 

Have a Happy Mommy Day!
HAPPY NEW YEAR 

6 comments:

  1. Sayang! You're selling breast pumps pala. Your Unimom double electric pump is half the price of Avent's single electric pump. D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hala, I thought you knew! I would've told you had I known. You bought na? I'll be doing a review on the Unimom next! :) Happy New year ❤
      How's the little one?

      Delete
  2. How long did it take you to get x amount of milk. I'm pregnant with my second baby and will be a full time stay at home mom. I mainly just want to pump to keep up my milk supply. Just curious how much milk you got and how long it took you to get it. Thanks!

    Amber
    Bringing Up Paisley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber!

      Milk production depends on several things:
      Amount of fluid you take in.
      Your diet.
      Your milk glands.
      How much you feed/empty your breasts.

      At 2 months, I get about 6ounces of milk per pumping, in between feedings. The first few days to weeks of breastfeeding, you'll only get around a few drops of milk to less than an ounce. It's not that much but it's enough to satisfy your baby. Remember that babies, esp newborns have teeny tiny tummies and can only accommodate as much. If you'd like to know more, feel free to leave me a message :) I love sharing breastfeeding info & stories! :)

      Delete
  3. hi gaano kadami naeexpress mo milk with the medela harmony and ilan minutes bago mo makuha yun amount ng milk na yun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Merjie,

      Milk output depends on a lot of things, so it varies from mom to mom or babies to babies. :)
      Remember, breastmilk works on a supply and demand principle--the more your child feeds on the breast or the quicker the breasts gets emptied, the quicker it will produce milk.
      Several factors you need to consider are:

      -Age of baby
      -Frequency of Feeding
      -Frequency of emptying the breasts
      -Breast Stimulation
      -Your fluid intake
      -Your child's milk intake

      The amount of milk you can express with the help of a breastpump are affected by these factors. It's also important to pick a pump that efficiently expresses milk.

      Hope this helps! :)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing about you and your thoughts. I will get back to you as soon as I can, and will try to address your concerns the best way I can. Have a Happy Mommy Day! ❤

Definition List

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...